Veterinary Mental Health Specialist
We are hiring for a full-time, licensed clinician for the role of our Veterinary Mental Health Specialist! This position will provide supportive community services alongside a caseload of clinical counseling sessions.
Ideal candidates are looking for a long-term career fit with a workplace that empowers their passion to help people grow resiliency in their lives. The ideal candidate has training and experience in animal welfare, veterinary and/or shelter medicine, compassion fatigue, public speaking and presentations, HIPAA, and trauma-informed care. This candidate is driven, motivated, collaborative, creative, and self-initiating with a capacity to build effective systems for client care, provider support, and community outreach.
We enthusiastically welcome inquiries from candidates with diverse backgrounds, narratives, perspectives, and experiences. We are invested in co-creating a practice culture together that celebrates the personalized expression of ability, gender, age, language, sexuality, ethnic heritage, and spirituality. Second Growth Counseling brings on employees that support and practice inclusive, affirming, and antiracist worldviews.
This therapist will provide dual services through clinical counseling sessions and supportive psychoeducational outreach to the animal welfare community. We are currently looking for licensed providers (LCSW, LMFT, or LPC) with proven training and experience to serve in this hybrid role. This therapist will provide services to adults, families, children, and organizations through individual clinical sessions, community psychoeducational, and group therapy. This clinician will serve adults experiencing anxiety, depression, stress, or trauma, and serve as an educator and community advocate to providers in animal veterinary and shelter medicine. This position is for full-time, employee status with a compensation range between $45-$65 per clinical hour of practice. Anticipated start date is November/December. We can also work with candidates who are transitioning out of a position while simultaneously building a caseload with Second Growth. Candidates must also be excited to pursue certification in veterinary mental health or hold completed credentials in this specialty.
- Collaborative, creative, supportive team environment
- Competitive and stable hourly compensation, paid every other week through direct deposit.
- Ability to earn above $100,000 annually (licensed, FT therapist)
- Additional compensation bonuses awarded annually
- Wellness stipend for health and wellbeing
- Retirement Plan
- Malpractice Insurance
- Virtual-office resource package for remote working
- Personalized advancement opportunities for leading groups, trainings, events, partnerships with local organizations, and advocacy efforts
- Workplace flexibility, including some remote working even after COVID. (We have hopes of seeing clients again in person within an ADA accessible facility & continuing our optional outdoor walking sessions.)
- Team case consultation & supervision
- Administrative, networking, and marketing support
- Insurance billing specialist to coordinate benefits, eligibility, and claim submissions
- Training and development opportunities for advancing your skillset
- Flexible work hours and paid time off
- Additional benefits added with company growth
- Enthusiastically align with Second Growth Counseling’s mission, vision, and values.
- Master’s Degree in clinical counseling, mental health, marriage and family therapy, art therapy, expressive cultural therapy, or other clinical mental health area accepted for Oregon state licensure.
- Active, unrestricted license (LPC, LCSW, or LMFT) in the State of Oregon (must be fully licensed). Additional corresponding license in Washington state preferred.
- 1-3 years post-licensure experience in providing evidence-based and culturally-informed therapy.
- Commitment to inclusion, intersectionality and best practices from ACA Code of Ethics, WPATH Standards of Care, and ACA competencies including Multicultual & Social Justice, ALGBTIC, ASERVIC, and Advocacy to advance quality care with underserved populations.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check prior to seeing clients.
- Available to hold at least 15-20 kept client sessions per week. Some evenings required and preferably some sessions available on a weekend day.
- Be specialized in trauma-informed, strengths-based, anti-oppressive care around compassion fatigue, secondary trauma, burnout, and/or responder stress. Certification preferred.
- Preferred: Prior experience in a community agency or private practice setting; experience in mental health support within a veterinary clinic or animal shelter.
- Please mention if you have these additional offerings:
- Competency in an additional language, especially to provide it at a clinical level.
- Current completed CAQH ProView file and approval as an in-network provider with Pacific Source, Trillium OHP, HealthShare or CareOregon OHP, or MODA insurance.
- Knowledge with Simple Practice Electronic Health Records System
- Working skillset in developing online mental health content for platforms that include: social media, websites, blogs, downloads, e-books, or online courses.
- Clinical Supervision training and/or OR Board supervision status.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform clinical counseling services to clients of Second Growth Counseling, as scheduled, and in accordance with company policies.
- Provide authorizations, assessments, diagnosis, treatment plans, and evaluation through therapy services.
- Coordinate care with health providers as needed.
- Provide referrals and community resources to clients as appropriate.
- Execute organizational assessments, trainings, presentations, and resources for psychoeducation.
- Maintain professional, ethical standards in accordance with ACA Code of Ethics, HIPAA, state law, and licensing requirements.
- Responsive, compassionate, and organized communication with clients and community members through email, phone, secure text, and in-person meetings.
- Computer skills to operate as a completely digital practice within our Electronic Health Records system, integrated telehealth platform, and with secure communication strategies.
- Timely documentation of written records for each client and service including, but not limited to: intake notes, assessments, diagnoses, progress notes, treatment plans, termination notes, contact logs, and other forms or documents which may be needed or required from time-to-time by Second Growth Counseling or third parties.
- Practice mandatory reporting, HIPAA-compliant training and standards, update CAQH file, and renew credentialing.
- Maintain client files accurately and up to date completely within the Electronic Health Records system.
- Manage and maintain a full caseload, schedule and coordinate care directly with clients, bill all private pay and copayments.
- Market and promote their clinical services through social media posts, blog articles, speaking engagements, profile listings, and networking to grow their referral base and recognition in the community.
- Utilize phone, computer, fax, scanning, secure texting, and app technologies as appropriate to best practices for clinical care, customer services, and professional standards.
Professional Skills and Development
- Maintain licensure and abide by all laws, rules, regulations, and codes of ethics that are binding upon or applicable to the services performed for Second Growth Counseling.
- Respond timely to clients’ referrals, messages, and care coordination.
- Attend, participate, and rotate leading staff meetings and team trainings.
- Complete continued education as required to maintain licensure.
- Examine and apply anti-oppression factors in clinical work.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
This position may not be the right fit for you if:
- You are interested in animal welfare but have no experience or training in it.
- You are not yet licensed in the state of Oregon as an LPC, LCSW or LMFT.
- You do not feel enthusiastic about our values, mission, and vision for this work together.
- You desire to only build a caseload and do not experience excitement at investing in the local community through events, advocacy, education, digital content, and community partnerships.
- You would prefer to work alone and separately, without collaborative accountability and teamwork.
- Your career goals are ultimately to run your own practice. It’s ok if this is you! It just means we are not the right place. Our efforts are aligned to invest in our teams and provide growth opportunities within Second Growth. Our ideal candidate is looking for a long-term career fit and workplace to invest and grow within.
This position could be a great fit for you if:
- You are aligned with Second Growth Counseling’s mission, vision, and values.
- You already hold a social justice orientation, practice anti-racism work, and are engaged in the ever-ongoing learning journey of humbling, personal growth.
- You feel energized by helping others in a team through organizing, handling schedules, communicating quickly, and tending to details.
- You love logistics, spreadsheets, databases, medical billing, and even insurance claims but also enjoy helping clients find the right clinician, get set-up for counseling, and understand their insurance benefits.
- You are self-motivated, driven, and thrive on the ability to apply your grit to situations.
- You are able to engage with direct and constructive feedback with the ability to adjust, learn, be corrected, and grow.
- You are looking for the opportunity to build into something bigger than yourself to make a difference in the lives of colleagues, clients, and community members.
Please apply if you meet the qualifications and are excited about this opportunity!
- Send your resume to email@example.com.
- Provide a cover letter or brief introductory video (about 3 minutes) with the following information:
- Please tell us about yourself.
- What makes you a good fit for this specific position on our particular team at Second Growth Counseling.
- Details on how you fit the position.
We reply to every candidate. We will confirm we received your materials by email. We welcome your follow-through to confirm receipt of your materials. Please no additional calls or emails at this time. Applications that do not follow the instructions (resume and either cover letter or video) will not be considered.
For candidates who advance to the next round in the hiring process, you will receive a detailed questionnaire to complete prior to interviewing. Before your interview, we will also provide you with a significant list of our interview questions. We hope this allows you to feel more comfortable and prepared to share. We also find it a better experience rather than attempting to discern candidates through anxiety or uncertainty in the experience. We look forward to a supportive process together!